September 2, 2010

Bedroom on a Budget!

Living on student loans makes it almost impossible to decorate. Here are a few cute finds I threw together to make Landon's room more comfortable. Since his room doubles as our guest room, I'm hoping to entice some visitors to come our way! I started by making these Euro Shams. I followed this tutorial and finished 3 of them in one afternoon. The one item in this room I "splurged" on was the quilt, found at TJ Maxx for $20. I held off on buying the bedskirt for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $14 (the cheapest one I could find) for one at Walmart. While rummaging through Target's clearance pile (usually found on end-caps in each dept.) I found the exact size and color bedskirt I needed for only $2!
These large cardboard letters are sold at Joann's for $8. Use your 40% coupon, or wait for them to go on sale. I used black spray paint on mine. The city scape is a reusable sticker I found on clearance at Target for $4. Each of these plates was less than $1. I used this tutorial for the rain gutter bookshelf which should be painted if I ever find some spare time.
The curtains are ONE flat full size sheet cut in half. Walmart's brand are very inexpensive, and they have a whole slew of colors. The tube for the rod and all but one hemmed edge (from the cut in half) is taken care of right out of the package! I actually lined mine with heavy fabric found at SAS (for you lucky AZ girls) to make them blackout- and now Landon sleeps until 10am every morning.This piggy bank was another Target clearance item $2, however it did start out lime green. In order for it to match I used acrylic paint and some painter's tape. The yellow frame was a clearance item from TJ Maxx which also started out lime green- nothing a little high gloss spray paint can't fix! I've had this frame forever and couldn't think of what to put in it. Using this website I made five 15 cent pictures and whah- la!
One rule to follow when on a budget is NEVER PAY FULL PRICE for anything! Wait for it to go on sale, use a coupon, or re-create it yourself!
Amy

3 comments:

Em said...

It looks great! I want to try pillow shams like that!

Anonymous said...

WOW I am impressed. It looks so cute. You got some good deals girl!

natalli said...

very nice. but why is Landon's bed bigger than mine (that 2 adults sleep in)?!