Our quaint little backyard is nothing but dirt and dog poop. So this Spring Break we are trying to transform it into a lovely oasis for us and our two labs. We are extending the porch using pave stones, but we were feeling ambitious and decided to first put in 2 stone benches. I'm not sure this is technically "crafty," but it was a fun DIY project so I thought I would share a quick how to:
1. Hose down the dirt in the shape and size of the desired bench making surface level.
2. Using 2x4s make a frame with an opening the size of your desired bench. Ours was 18" deep by 6' long. Then fill in frame with gravel.
3. Then pour sand ontop.
*Even though the wise man built his house upon a rock, this gravel/sand step is necessary since we are laying pave-stone in front of the benches. We want everything to be level and laying about 2 inches of gravel and sand allows some "give" room when laying the stones.
8. Stack in front of cinder blocks, 1-high and level. Then hammer more rebar between each front block for additional reinforcement.
10. Fill in cinder blocks and triangular spaces between facing with cement.
11. Smooth cement.
13. After a couple days remove wood frame and Whala! Finished!