February 28, 2011

One man's trash

On my latest D.I. adventure I found this gem:

ok Devaun makes anything look sexy, but believe me, it was awful.
So I made the neckline round, took up the bodice, removed shoulder pads+collar, took out the sleeves, brought the hem up 3-4inches and took the entire dress in by about 2 inches on each side.

And here's my $4+lots-of-work dress now:

also, cardigan: Old Navy, dot tights: ASOS, necklace: gift, belt: Francesca's (in case you care)



I also found this great 60's-ish pencil skirt. All I had to do was take in the sides a few inches, and I was set for my Valentine's Day party!
Even though thrift stores are smelly, I love them!

8 comments:

Em said...

You did a great job! I just found an Ann Taylor shirt at Goodwill for $2.50, and I agree that thrift stores are stinky!

amy said...

I thrift often, but only for furniture and other bleachable "hard" items. I am fearful of anything that holds the stench... but perhaps it's worth it.

Lari said...

BLOOMIN GENIOUS!@@!@!!! If only I had to take a skirt IN instead of out 10 inches....

Chris said...

Such a great change! Way to see a diamond in the rough.

Richard and Amber said...

You are officially amazing! Good eye- I would never have even thought of making anything beautiful from that dress, and you totally pulled it off.

sisters4saymoreismore said...

ooh! so freaking cute!!! we love a great refashion! i pick up alot of crazy stuff but i would have never thought of that floral dress! great job!

~selina {sis #1}

Brittany said...

Wow that frumpy dress looked so good before- why did you change it?? LOL It looks amazing transitioned! I'd pay a lot of money for something that cute!

Jenifer Simpson said...

I wash everything --using hot water if fabric can take it -- after a long soak in oxydol BEFORE I start working with it (after drying)...