April 8, 2012

Easter Flashback!

 
Doesn't my mom look elegant with long locks? I'm so crafty! Here's the how to for a quick, beautiful makeover:

J/K! That wasn't my crafty Easter flashback. When we were little, my mom always made us pretty, matching Easter dresses. This year I took it upon myself to make one, using this pattern!

I have really come to love sewing, but I'm not comfortable inventing patterns. So, as for a step by step how-to, there won't be one (that's called plagiarism). I recommend waiting until patterns are $1 at JoAnn, following all the directions, and you'll get something like this:
I also recommend ironing it  before wearing it (unlike I did in above picture). Also, gathers/ruching are tricky, especially with layered fabrics (I did a lace on a peach skin fabric) so don't be afraid of or too lazy for pinning.
 (practically-professional-looking photographs and poses compliments of husband James)
It's really so much easier than it seems to use a pattern. Don't be intimidated! To finish this little Easter piece, I crafted a necklace from some left over furniture trim, a jewelry clasp, hot glue, and some buttons and a flower.
Still not as cute as when my mom made the dresses, and none of my sisters matched me, but hopes are high for next year!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty! You did a great job!

Posey Cowart said...

Kami is AMAZING! kinda makes me sick

Lari said...

Number 1: Those fake hair pictures were HIDIOUS. I might sue.
Number 2: Your dress turned out BEAUTIFULLY! I am impressed beyond measure AND your necklace was very nice too!