One time I found this great muumuu/nightgown thing at DI. I was attracted to the print and lightness of the fabric, so I bought it in hopes of making something(s) out of it one day.
Two months later, I actually did it! Here's the process..
I pretty much just cut the thing in half where it would be the length I wanted it
Then I did a running stitch along the top and gathered it.
I gathered until it was the same length as a piece of elastic the length of my waist and pinned the elastic on.
I sewed the elastic on using a zigzag stitch, pulled out the running stitch and ....
No hemming, because I used the hemline of the original dress. Hooray for laziness!
And today's ANTM shot for the full effect.
I love it! Anddd, I could still make something out of the top!